Jane Austen Summer Program
Don’t miss the first Jane Austen Summer Program — held on UNC’s campus June 27-30, 2013!
Organized by UNC’s Department of English and Comparative Literature in conjunction with the Program in the Humanities, this four-day summer program celebrates the 200th anniversary of the publication of Pride and Prejudice.*
Learning experiences include lecture formats and discussion groups daily. Discussions will focus on Pride and Prejudice in its historical context as well as its many afterlives in fiction and film.
Additional events include a Regency ball, the chance to partake in an English tea, a silent auction of Austen-related items, and the opportunity to view special exhibits tailored to the conference.
* All participants should consider purchasing the latest Penguin Publishing edition of Pride and Prejudice as this will be the official version cited in lectures and discussions.
* For additional reading suggestions, click here!
Accommodation options include the chance to stay at a historic dorm on UNC’s campus or hotels nearby.
- Dormitory option: Alexander Hall is a three-story dormitory building. Rooms are sparsely furnished, and bathrooms are located in the hallways. A laundry and vending machines are on site. Participants may wish to bring a reading lamp and additional pillows in addition to purchasing the linen packet. The cost is $165 for the entire program.
- Carolina Inn: The Inn fills up quickly, so book early if you wish to stay at this historic hotel adjacent to UNC’s campus. Rooms start at $172 per night.
- The Siena Hotel: Rooms are available at the Siena for $129 per night.
- Aloft: To book a room at Aloft Chapel Hill for $99 per night, participants must contact the hotel by June 13, 2013. To take advantage of this offer, call 919-932-7772 and mention group code “SMERF,” or visit this link. Parking at the hotel costs an additional $6 per day.
The Austen Summer Program is designed to appeal to established scholars, high school teachers, graduate students, and undergraduate students — anyone with a passion for all things Austen is welcome to attend!
TUITION: Tuition is $529 for the four-day program. Price includes parking on campus, breakfast, break food, a buffet dinner, dance lessons, a Regency Ball, and more.
FOR TEACHERS: Currently employed full-time teachers in K-12 public and private schools are eligible for a scholarship covering 50% of the tuition ($264.50).
TO REGISTER: register at our secure site at https://hhv.oasis.unc.edu/
The Jane Austen Summer Program receives support from the General Alumni Association, the Institute for the Arts and Humanities, the North Carolina Region of the Jane Austen Society of North America, and the Regency Assembly of North Carolina.