2019 Local Government Seminar
The 2019 Local Government Seminar
Friday, April 26 – Saturday, April 27 | Conover, NC
Every day, local government touches the lives of North Carolinians and provides the services essential for functional communities, growing businesses, and healthy families. It is local government that supplies water to our faucets, collects our trash, moves traffic through our downtowns, and cuts the grass in our parks and ball fields. It is also local government that delivers care and counseling to those facing difficult times and responds with qualified personnel to life’s emergencies.
Participants in this seminar will learn first-hand the role of local government in North Carolina and then explore pedagogical strategies for teaching young people about how local government in North Carolina works. Highlights of the Seminar will include: meeting with elected and appointed local government officials, “behind-the-scenes” field trips of various county and city departments, and MORE!!
PARTICIPANTS WILL RECEIVE:
- Lesson plans aligned to the NC Essential Standards
- 1.5 renewal credits
- A FREE, single-occupancy hotel room for the evening of April 26 (for participants residing more than 100 round-trip miles from the training location)
- Meals – lunch on 4/26 & 4/27; snacks throughout
- One-on-one access to various elected and appointed officials and city and county staff.
- “Special Access” field trips to various sites around the cities of Conover and Hickory, and Catawba County.