Commitment to Diversity
Carolina Public Humanities believes that an important mark of a successful organization is its commitment to diversity and the practice of welcoming, recognizing and valuing the rich backgrounds, experiences, and world views of all individuals and groups. We believe such diversity is crucial to programmatic excellence, both internally and externally. In support of the University’s diversity goals, Carolina Public Humanities seeks to:
- Engage communities whose members have diverse cultures, backgrounds, and life experiences in our programs, which draw upon the humanities to nurture a deeper understanding of history and culture, enrich the life of the mind, and contribute to the development of a more humane world.
- Maintain an organizational and programmatic environment that is academically, intellectually and culturally rich and inclusive, encouraging genuine participation from all people.
- Honor freedom of expression and civility of discourse as fundamental cornerstones in our work.
- Participate in outreach to underserved groups and geographical areas in the State.
- Create K-12 curriculum and provide teacher trainings (via our educational outreach component, Carolina K-12) that address a wide range of multicultural topics and encourage inclusive classrooms.